Master of Science Program in Religious Studies includes a wide range of interdisciplinary approaches in Humanities associated with the development of Religious Studies as a discipline, critically examining the relationships and perspectives of history, philosophy, sociology, psychology, theology and the social sciences on religion.
Master of Science Program in Religious Studies will be serving the students under the following three profiles:
1. Interfaith dialogue
2. Religious education
3. Religious leadership
Master in Religious Studies will focus on the role of religion in society from a range of disciplinary perspectives concerning, for instance, education, human rights, political and religious fundamentalism, discrimination, conflict resolution and peace building. This program provides education for all those students who are interested in building their professional careers in both the public and private sector in the field of Humanities, such as human rights, diplomacy, justice, interfaith dialogue, social sciences such as sociology, philosophy, psychology, anthropology, etc. This cycle lasts two years and the program is designed to provide students with an intellectual horizon, presenting a variety of concepts and perspectives in the field of Humanities. The interdisciplinary master on interfaith dialogue provides students with the opportunity to reflect on the role that religion plays during peaceful and conflictual times in a society. This master aims to raise students' cultural, political and religious awareness, and at the same time address the importance of living in harmony with all people who might have different religious or political worldviews. Interfaith dialogue is seen as a tool that helps remove misunderstandings and accepting what is different, aiming to create a climate where harmony and peaceful coexistence prevail in society.
Type of program, duration & number of credits
The Master of Science in Religious Studies study program is a full-time study program and the duration of studies is 2 academic years / 4 semesters. Students must complete 120 ECTS in order to graduate. The program is offered in English. At the end of the program, students are provided with a degree "Master of Science" in "Religious Studies" under one of three profiles 1. Interreligious dialogue; 2. Religious education or 3. Religious leadership.
For all those students who aim to build their professional and academic career in the field of Humanities, the Master of Science program in Religious Studies with three profiles, offers:
1. Students will be able to understand and analyze the vibrant world of religion and it is dynamic role in society.
2. Students will be able to understand and analyze the nature of relationship between religion and politics in the context of globalization.
3. Students graduated from this program will be able to explore the diversity of global religious and spiritual life by increasing their religious literacy and comprehensive skills in a religious diversity context.
4. Students will be equipped with knowledge, skills and experience in various areas of the discipline of religious studies intertwined with social sciences and disciplines such as sociology, philosophy, psychology of religion, pedagogy.
5. Students graduated from this program will be qualified as specialists in the field of religious studies, who can serve as staff in various state institutions and non-governmental organizations dealing with religion and social inclusion.
6. Students will have the opportunity to participate in various national and international projects dealing with interreligious and intercultural dialogue, religious freedom, discrimination, equality and CVE.
1. The Master of Science in Religious Studies program is the only program that offers studies in the field of Interreligious Dialogue in Albania. In this way, opening the doors to students attending the Master's program in Religious Studies to have an education that encompasses the qualities and abilities of reading and perceiving the basic resources of the humanities, religious studies, and interfaith dialogue.
2. The need to graduate in this field in a special program such as study in Religious Studies in Albania, the region and the West, where in addition to the academic aspect of this field, importance is given to preserving the centuries-old Albanian tradition of interfaith harmony, as a model also for Europe and the world.
3. The high mobility opportunities of students, offered by the department for professional internships and trainings inside and outside the country at various educational, training and academic institutions, offer them valuable experiences for their career.
4. The contribution that the department shows in maintaining interfaith harmony and coexistence in Albania and beyond, through periodic and continuous organization of national and international panels, seminars, symposia and conferences on interfaith dialogue in cooperation with various universities and academic institutions and not only.
5. The Master of Science in Religious Studies program is in line with and best serves the national strategy for combating radicalism and violent extremism.
6. Integration of teaching with scientific research, encouraging students to organize and participate in student scientific activities.
Admission criteria in the study program
Students for the Master of Science in Religious Studies program offered by the Department of Islamic Sciences are admitted based on three main criteria, each with a certain percentage:
1. The average grading of the first cycle of studies, at the rate of 70%.
2. Interview by the scientific committee of the relevant department, at the rate of 30%.
3. Level B1 certificate for one of the five languages as indicated in the instruction no. 52, dated 3.12.2015.
Curriculum of the study program
The curriculum, organization of modules by subjects and the formative activity for the Master of Science program in Islamic Sciences are presented in the following tables: